The onboarding process for the Engineering Department is the starting point for all the new people joining Agile Lab (regardless of status, interns should be onboarded in the same way).
Checklist for Manager
- [ ] Create an account on Office365 "email@example.com" and send credentials to the private email.
- [ ] Include it on group "dev".
- [ ] Include it on "BigData" Sharepoint.
- [ ] Include it on the specific branch (city) group.
- [ ] Create an account on "Elapseit" and send credentials to "agilelab.it" email.
- [ ] Create an account on "Holaspirit" and send credentials to "agilelab.it" email.
- [ ] Create an account on "gitlab" with the agile lab email and let the new team member confirm it.
- [ ] Add the new member to the "developers" gitlab group.
- [ ] Assign an onboarding buddy on the new employee's team.
- [ ] Send an email to the new employee and the buddy linking this page to let them be aware about next steps.
- [ ] Organize smooth onboarding with clear tasks. Define which technologies should be studied in the first two weeks.
- [ ] Share the tech interview outcome with the assigned buddy so to allow her/him to perform a complete tech assessment of the newcomer.
- [ ] Include it on first project Sharepoint.
- [ ] Include it on recurring activities and meetings for the first project.
Checklist for Buddy
- [ ] Read the buddy section in the leadership guidelines
- [ ] Introduce yourself to the new team member with a video call.
- [ ] Remind about the handbook, suggest most useful pages, clarify it in case of need.
- [ ] Describe self-management practices, provide a high-level overview of the circles and invite the new colleague to attend as a guest a tactical meeting. Make sure they know that they are highly encouraged to join a circle and that they know how to proceed if they want to join one.
- [ ] Talk about Agile Lab values and how to collaborate with peers.
- [ ] Explain compliance procedures and GDPR policies.
- [ ] Talk about the engineering ladder.
- [ ] Introduce her/him to Teams (note: new team member will be automatically inserted on major channels).
- [ ] Check in regularly about her/his first tasks status and clarify doubts.
- [ ] Ask the new team member to fill-up the Skill Matrix.
- [ ] Leveraging the skill matrix and the tech interview outcome received from the Manager, perform a tech assessment of the new team member.
- [ ] Support her/him on training tasks for the first two weeks. The training program must be developed considering the subjects addressed by the Manager and the skill-matrix-based assessment in order to also fill up the knowledge gaps on "first class citizens" skills like version control tools and principles, issue tracking, SW development best practices and patterns, unit testing, etc ...
- [ ] Introduce the new team-member to 5 people.
- [ ] Talk about the software development channel on streams, since there some useful videos for training and deep dives
- [ ] Talk about the role of the Software Mentor before to say goodbye.
- [ ] Talk about the awesome resources repo
- [ ] Share an onboarding outcome with the Manager and/or the Project Lead the new member will be assigned to, focused on the completed training program so to bring light over strong and weak points the Project Lead might need to take into account (e.g. if there was no time to train the new team member on a certain required technology or tool, let's say git for example, the Project Lead must know about it before assigning him/her the first actual development task)
- [ ] Share the list of workplace safety managers (RLS, first aid, fire prevention) to the new members. The list is available in
sharepoint:BigData/Documents/People Operations/Responsabili sicurezza
Checklist for new team-member
- [ ] Login into Office365 and check provided credentials are working.
- [ ] Login on Elapseit and check provided credentials are working.
- [ ] Login on Holaspirit and check provided credentials are working.
- [ ] Login on Teams.
- [ ] Check you can access to "BigData" Sharepoint.
- [ ] Follow this guide to enroll your devices.
- [ ] Contact Internal IT to verify that installation is completed or if you need help.
- [ ] Create an account on GitLab and provide the related username to your Manager.
- [ ] Introduce yourself on the "intros" Teams channel so to let your (especially remote) colleagues know a little bit more about yourself, what do you like, area of expertise, location, etc. Although this is not mandatory, it's highly recommended for the sake of the value of being a company focused on the individuals as persons, not as just anonymous workers.
- [ ] Configure your Office365 profile picture. Use a photo of yourself to make you recognizable by other agile lab employees.
- [ ] As soon as you receive your laptop (and screen) ask your Facility Manager to register them in the People Operations census file.
- [ ] Schedule a call (30 minute) with the Certification Coach in order to know the certification plan and the related opportunities
- [ ] Schedule 5 introductory calls (30 minute each) with the 5 people provided by the buddy.
- [ ] Exploit the alignment sessions with your buddy to ask any clarifications (technical, about the company, the internal processes, etc) you might need.
- [ ] At the end of the first two weeks, fill the Onboarding Quiz that you can find on the home page of "BigData" Sharepoint
[ ] Add your signature in the Outlook email.
Outlook app users: access instructions and template in
sharepoint:BigData/Documenti/Doc Templates/Template firme mail.docx.
Outlook web users:
- open Firefox
- access the template in
sharepoint:BigData/Doc Templates/FIRMA MAIL/firma email agile lab.htm
- select all (CTRL+A) and copy (CTRL+C)
- open Outlook
- in Settings, search Email Signature
- in the signature text field, remove all contents
- paste (CTRL+V) the templated signature
- fill in your details (full name, title, email, office address).
First two weeks
In Agile Lab the first two weeks are dedicated to train on different technologies based on Manager indications and Buddy's assessment after the new team member has filled up the Skill Matrix. The Buddy will be supportive along this period.
In "BigData" Sharepoint there are the official Agile Skill courses that must not be shared with external world. This material can be then integrated with other resources in case of need.