At the end of each semester we have two different kind of reviews:
- 360 review: the focus of this review is to gain feedbacks, no link with bonus
- Results review: this is instead to evaluate the performance and will determine the bonus
This review is only for Engine people and we take in account only reviews coming within the circle ( so basically all devs/engineers involved in projects, products, services and other activities related to Engine )
The results review is focused on performance and should evaluate following aspects:
- Behavioral: results coming from 360 reviews or from a coach evaluation ( same skills/drivers of 360 ). Need to convert from qualitative to quantitative ( only for coach )
- Productivity: the quality and quantity of work put in by an employee against the expectations set by the employer
- Customer experience: customer focus and customer service is the key to build good and long term relationships with the customer
- Results: get stuff done and impact are crucial because we value results
Each aspect should have a score between 1 to 10 and the review is valid only if you are in the position to evaluate all the items. This evaluation is happening only top-down (coach evaluation) and bottom-up (your evaluation of your coach/coaches), no peer evaluation is allowed here. In case during the semester you had more than one coach, you will have multiple scores also top-down.
The coach is your Project Leader or your Lead Link ( SRE, Engine, Products and other operative circles about delivery of projects and services ) and it is strongly recommended that coaches (at the same level) are talking to each other in order to be aligned on rating scale and to verify that their scores are fair across the entire company.
- item: one of the four items ( behavioural, productivity, customer experience, results )
- bottom-up votes: the list of bottom-up votes received for a specific item
- top-down votes: the list of top-down votes received for a specific item
then final score must be calculated in this way:
items.map(item => (item.bu_votes.avg() + item.td_votes.avg()) / 2).avg()
Each review should be paired with an explanation.
In order to obtain a Results review you need to do the following steps:
- go into sharepoint BigData/ Performance review / results review template.
- open the link e clone the template ( using the top button ), renaming it with this naming convention --> Results Review YYYYMM - Name Surname.
- share the link ( using share button ) with your coaches and your team members.
- once your review is completed and you got all the votes, please share results with your coach and the lead link of Engine.
Pay attention this is a distributed mechanism and you are owner of the process and numbers that you share with the coach. Double check them because we trust each other and no further checks will be made
The final score will then be normalized between 0 and 1, where 0 is the worst score of the company and 1 is the best one. This step will be done by the lead link of Engine. In case a review is not applicable ( because the person is working alone, or because the coach is not enough in the loop to evaluate it, etc. ), this is a problem of the company and the performance score will be 0.75 by default.
The final score is then communicated to the administration to link the bonus to it. Each employee will receive a formal report containing the final score ( the normalized one )
Everyone in the company can participate.
360 reviews allow everyone to give and receive feedbacks in order to improve, this is a 360 because in this way we can build a more complete view about each of us and collect more useful feedbacks. It is just another way to provide feedbacks, and because we value transparency it is NOT anonymous and it must be actionable in order to improve.
It is important to understand that people are not judging you but they are providing feedbacks. These are not right or wrong but they are just feedbacks, please listen to them. When you provide feedbacks be responsible and owner of what you think and what you say, be candid and be ready to discuss more about your feedback in 1:1 with the specific person.
Here the skills composing the 360:
- Leadership Skills (Delegation, Ownership/Responsibility, Vision, Listening, Approachability, Coaching, Decision Making, Risk-Taking )
- Communication Skills ( Listening, Clarity, Speaking, Networking, Non-Verbal Behaviors, Openness, Energy, Giving Feedback, Receiving Feedback)
- Team Skills (Listening, Questioning, Helping, Participation, Peer Feedback, Reliability)
- Organization Skills ( Long term goals, Time management, and Attention to Detail)
- Creativity Skills (Problem Solving, Problem Identification, Inventiveness, Brainstorming, and Making connections )
- Interpersonal Skills (Empathy, Confidence, Stress management, Positivity, Group Work, Approachability, Enthusiasm, and Personal Appearance)
- Organizational Alignment (Alignment & Understanding of: Community, Values, Mission, Vision, Strategic Plan, and Processes)
You must provide your feedback to all the people you worked with during the past semester, no matter if you worked in the same team or you collaborated in a side project or in a circle, but the feedback should be based on some interaction. It is not needed to provide a vote on each of them, but only on skills where you have a good opinion.
Each skill can have a vote between 1 and 5 with the following meaning:
- Unsatisfactory/Unacceptable: it should be 5% of people
- Needs Improvements: individual is not doing a good job and needs to shape up immediately or the persone is new to a specific position and, while on track is not yet successful level of performance. It should be 10% of people
- Meets Expectations/Solid Performer: It should be 60% of people that are really doing a great job inline with what the company demands
- Exceeds Expectations/Above standard. It should be 20% of people
- Distinguished/Outstanding. It should be 5% of people. This person performed his job for the whole period at superior level, is not driven by episodes but some incredible achievement must be there
Each review must be completed with some direct feedback with the following format:
- Stop: what the person should stop to do
- Start: what the person should start to do
- Continue: what the person should continue to do
All the suggestions should be actionable, not vague messages like "stop sending mixed messages on certain issue" and no feedbacks like "you are great, I enjoy working with you" because they are not actionable in any way. Be specific, honest and constructive. No blaming. An actionable feedback is "you can be overly confident, even aggressive, in advocating for a position. I felt this was the case when you were advocating for facility re-opening. You ask for opinions but it seems you are predetermined to get a certain outcome" or "you don't respond to emails from my team, it feels hierarchical and discouraging. Perhaps we need to establish more trust but I need you be more generous with your time and insights". These are good feedbacks, even if negative, because it is clear what they are referring too, also with specific references and examples, and providing some suggestion on how to improve. A good feedback should be given with a positive intent, don't provide feedback in order to get frustration off your chest, intentionally hurting the other person. Address the problem and explain what behavior change could help the company or the individual, not how it could help you.
Each 360 review, when completed should be shared with your coach. It could be really helpful for leaders to share back their 360 evaluations and show to the team their weakness and improvement needs. This will improve transparency ( not mandatory ).
In order to obtain a 360 you need to do the following steps:
- go into sharepoint BigData/ Performance review / 360 review template.
- open the link e clone the template ( using the top button ), renaming it with this naming convention --> 360 Review YYYYMM - Name Surname.
- share the link ( using share button ) with all the people you want get a feedback from or share it on a teams channel ( a dedicated channel "performance review" exists ). Remember that there is no link with bonus here so be eager for feedbacks ( also coming from circles and not from projects ).
- once your review is completed and you got all the feedbacks, please share results with your coach. ( this step is only for Engine people )
The entire process will last for two weeks, because we want that you take your time to think how to provide feedbacks and make them insightful for the other people. Please keep track of who wants to have a feedback from you and don't forget about it.
Finally, filling the Performance review provides the perfect chance to give your feedback to the company about your learning path progression, if are there impediments, etc.
When you share your review with your coach, please add some personal consideration, self assessment, and whatever you feel could be important to highlight at company level